Tuesday 6 September 2011

Reviewing my review

So today was the day. My long awaited (and only slightly delayed) annual review. As far as I can tell most, possibly all of the old clinicians have left the hospital I attend, so there were new faces to meet. 

It was great. My appointment started promptly and my discussions with Dr S were unhurried and thorough. A little too thorough, perhaps. Apologies if you were after me, I think I stayed and chatted for a bit longer than I usually would. 'Smile and nod' this wasn't. It felt more like a fruitful exchange of information. And if Dr S was bored senseless and wished I would get lost, she certainly gave nothing away. 

I was pleased to learn that my HbA1c had dropped from 7.1% to 6.3% (45mmol/mol in new money). Dr S pointed out that that was the sort of level at which they get begin to get concerned about the number of hypos that might be involved, but thankfully I'd taken a sheaf of printouts showing that I'm having far fewer these days. Other results showed an unexpected drop in cholesterol to 4.7 (with an improvement in the lipid panel split of 2.1 HDL, 2.3 LDL and 0.7 Trigs - yes I realise that doesn't add up, calculated values sometimes don't it seems). Blood pressure, while occasionally higher than ideal, is generally low enough at either end of the day to pass muster. 

I should take this opportunity to thank the Diabetes Online Community for their amazing support and encouragement over the last year or two. Forums, blog posts and comments left here have had a major impact on the way I am able to manage my diabetes. Things that I had thought impossibly illogical for years have been made much clearer. You guys rock!

And as for the *big question*? Well as I talked through pretty much all the issues I still have with Dr S, we agreed that all of them would be easier to handle on a pump. I have booked an appointment with a DSN to talk pumps, Levemir and other options. 

Watch this space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment