Wednesday 18 March 2009

Vegetables that help control blood sugar in Type 2 diabetes.

I have found that some vegetables are very helpful to me in my effort to control blood sugar after meals. Conversely, there are some that are very harmful.

The list of harmful vegetables is not that long. The main culprit is potato. And I used to love potatoes. French fries, baked potatoes,mashed potatoes with gravy. All are absolutely delicious. But I don't eat them anymore. I remember reading an interesting quote from someone that eating steak and potatoes can kill you but, contrary to popular opinion, it is not the steak that kills, its the potato.

Green peas and tomatoes should also be eaten in moderation. A little bit of either vegetable will not hurt the sugar readings.

All green leafy vegetables are excellent. Cauliflower and broccoli top the category of nutrient-rich and glucose-neutral veggies. Lettuce of any kind works well too but I personally prefer Romaine lettuce.

The only vegetable known to actually cut down blood sugar level is bitter melon. It is common in the Indian sub-continent. But not elsewhere. I try to eat it regularly. In spite of its bitter taste. I slice the bitter melon into thin strips and saute them in olive oil with salt and pepper. And down it like I am taking medicine. Which is what it is. It sure beats taking bitter melon supplement pills.

No comments:

Post a Comment